About me


As far as I can remember, I have always been athletic. To find out that I had Parkinson's Disease in 2004, was a total surprise! I had to learn everything that I could about this disease. I read everything and went to many seminars and have and still do participate in Clinical Trials. After reviewing my medical records it was determined that I had tremors in 1987, at age 38 years old. I can no longer smell, I drag my left legs often. I loose my balance but I do enjoy dancing. If I fall, I get right back up.

Many things happen to a person with Parkinson's dsease. As of this date, there is no cure, just medicine and/or DBS to help. I can not have DBS because of the damage done from my previous stroke in the area where the surgery would take place. I am getting ahead of myself.

Then came the major stroke in 2004, after my Parkinson's disease diagnosis. How could this happen? Paralyzed on my left side. I had to learn how to speak, chew and swallow foods, regain all movements on my left side including using my hand and fingers to pick up things, legs and feet to move, stand, learn balance and walking., rebuild the muscles. I won't get into that. It took a year of 3 to 4 hours each day of all kinds of therapies. I had a blood clot in a vein burst in my brain. I thank God that I was able to get back to 99% of me.

I have had 4 major surgeries for female problems, beginning in 1981 and so far no more since 2009. In 2010, we ( My husband and I) purchased a motor coach and traveled over the US spreading the word about Parkinson's disease and passing out brochures We no longer have the motor coach.

When I was diagnosed with Dystonia of the feet and calves, I thought ok, I have had enough. Surely, nothing else will happen.

But I was wrong, more would come. I lost the bone in my lower jaw and ended up with cadaver bone, implants, and gums, and snap in lower dentures. I have had 6 other surgeries adding more bone and gum. I also have been dignosed with temors of my voice box, .

Through all of this, I continue to feel totally BLESSED! I Thank God for helping me. Of course I have pity me times, and say, Why Me, Lord? I am human, but most of the time when this happens, I look in the mirror and say, Why Not Me? I am a fighter and I will continue to fight this disease called Parkinson's Disease. I continue to exercise and meditate.

I use to be so shy. Now I give Seminars on Parkinson's Disease Awareness. I also began writing poetry, I hope you enjoy it.

God Bless,

Margie

Translate

Sunday, August 24, 2014

Have you ever lost your balance and have fallen ?


I have fallen many times, losing my balance. 

Fortunately I haven't broken any bones so far. But I have been bruised and have had to get  an x-ray to make sure. I have had to use a hand and wrist brace until it is healed.

It is a serious thing, especially as we get older. 




Tips for maintaining balance


   Keep at least one hand free at all times. Try using a backpack or fanny pack
   to hold things rather than carrying them in your hands. Never carry objects
   in both hands when walking as this interferes with keeping your balance.

   Attempt to swing both arms from front to back while walking. This might
   require a conscious effort if Parkinson’s disease has diminished your 
   movement.It will, however, help you to maintain balance and posture,
   and reduce fatigue.

   Consciously lift your feet off of the ground when walking. Shuffling and 
   dragging of the feet is a common culprit in losing your balance.

   When trying to navigate turns, use a "U" technique of facing forward
   and making a wide turn, rather than pivoting sharply.


   Try to stand with your feet shoulder-length apart. When your feet are
   close together for any length of time, you increase your risk of losing
   your balance and falling.

   Do one thing at a time. Don’t try to walk and accomplish another task, 
   such as reading or looking around. The decrease in your automatic 
   reflexes complicates motor function, so the less distraction, the better.


    Do not wear rubber or gripping soled shoes, they might "catch" on the floor 
    and cause tripping.

    Move slowly when changing positions. Use deliberate, concentrated 
    movements and, if needed, use a grab bar or walking aid. Count 15 
    seconds between each movement. For example, when rising from 
    a seated position, wait 15 seconds after standing to begin walking.

    If you become "frozen," visualize stepping over an imaginary object, 
    or have someone place his or her foot in front of yours to step over. 
    Try not to have a caregiver or companion "pull" you, this might throw
    you off balance and even prolong the episode.



    If balance is a continuous problem, you might want to consider a walking
    aid such as a cane, walking stick, or walker. Once you’ve mastered walking 
    with help, you might be ready to try it on your own again.







No comments:

Post a Comment