About me


As far as I can remember, I have always been athletic. To find out that I had Parkinson's Disease in 2004, was a total surprise! I had to learn everything that I could about this disease. I read everything and went to many seminars and have and still do participate in Clinical Trials. After reviewing my medical records it was determined that I had tremors in 1987, at age 38 years old. I can no longer smell, I drag my left legs often. I loose my balance but I do enjoy dancing. If I fall, I get right back up.

Many things happen to a person with Parkinson's dsease. As of this date, there is no cure, just medicine and/or DBS to help. I can not have DBS because of the damage done from my previous stroke in the area where the surgery would take place. I am getting ahead of myself.

Then came the major stroke in 2004, after my Parkinson's disease diagnosis. How could this happen? Paralyzed on my left side. I had to learn how to speak, chew and swallow foods, regain all movements on my left side including using my hand and fingers to pick up things, legs and feet to move, stand, learn balance and walking., rebuild the muscles. I won't get into that. It took a year of 3 to 4 hours each day of all kinds of therapies. I had a blood clot in a vein burst in my brain. I thank God that I was able to get back to 99% of me.

I have had 4 major surgeries for female problems, beginning in 1981 and so far no more since 2009. In 2010, we ( My husband and I) purchased a motor coach and traveled over the US spreading the word about Parkinson's disease and passing out brochures We no longer have the motor coach.

When I was diagnosed with Dystonia of the feet and calves, I thought ok, I have had enough. Surely, nothing else will happen.

But I was wrong, more would come. I lost the bone in my lower jaw and ended up with cadaver bone, implants, and gums, and snap in lower dentures. I have had 6 other surgeries adding more bone and gum. I also have been dignosed with temors of my voice box, .

Through all of this, I continue to feel totally BLESSED! I Thank God for helping me. Of course I have pity me times, and say, Why Me, Lord? I am human, but most of the time when this happens, I look in the mirror and say, Why Not Me? I am a fighter and I will continue to fight this disease called Parkinson's Disease. I continue to exercise and meditate.

I use to be so shy. Now I give Seminars on Parkinson's Disease Awareness. I also began writing poetry, I hope you enjoy it.

God Bless,

Margie

Translate

Friday, August 15, 2014

Depression

I write often about trying to overcome depression by going outside and really look at nature. To feel the sun shinning on you. Hear the birds singing and to put a smile on your face. I am sorry to hear about Robin Williams. He was an outstanding actor and comedian. Please, if you ever get to feeling so depressed and nothing seems to help, please seek help by calling your doctor.


This story has been updated. Washington Post
Comedian Robin Williams was grappling with severe depression when he committed suicide Monday, and on Thursday we learned that he also was in the early stages of Parkinson's disease. Sadly, the two conditions are often found together.
In a 2012 study conducted by the National Parkinson Foundation, 61 percent of 5,557 Parkinson's patients surveyed reported that they also suffered from depression, with symptoms that ranged from mild to severe.
Both conditions are associated with a shortage of dopamine, a neurotransmitter that helps regulate movement and control the brain's pleasure center.
"Dopamine is a feel-good chemical. If you are low in dopamine, you are not going to feel so good," said Joyce Oberdorf, president and CEO of the National Parkinson Foundation. "There are [also] other neurotransmitters that can be low."
A separate study published Friday found that newly-diagnosed Parkinson's patients have higher rates of depression, anxiety, fatigue, and apathy than a control group of people without Parkinson's. Researchers from the Raymond and Ruth Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania found that 13.9 percent of patients had symptoms of depression when they were diagnosed with Parkinson's, a proportion that rose to 18.7 percent after 24 months. Just 6.6 percent of people without the disease had depression, and that dropped to just 2.4 percent after 24 months.
Despite their depressive symptoms, most of the Parkinson's patients who also had that condition were not treated with anti-depressants at any point in the two-year study. The findings were published in the journal Neurology. Parkinson's is an incurable, progressive, neurological disease that afflicts about 1 million people in the United States. It affects the motor system, leaving victims with tremors, a stiff or awkward gait and repetitive, involuntary muscle movements known as dyskinesias.
In its early stages, Parkinson's is manageable through a variety of medications that increase the supply of dopamine, keep it circulating in the brain longer and make it work better, Oberdorf said. Quality of life is often high for the first five to seven years of the disease, although it varies among individual sufferers, she said.
Later, as the disease progresses, the ability to make dopamine and neurological receptors for the chemical declines, and symptoms often worsen. People can live for decades with Parkinson's, and the progress of the disease varies, Oberdorf said.
No one is entirely sure what causes the disease, but the current belief is that it is a combination of genetic susceptibility and environmental causes such as head trauma and exposure to pesticides. Deaths from Parkinson's usually are caused by falls or pneumonia, as the ability to swallow diminishes, Oberdof said.
Williams has been open about his battle with drugs and alcohol but wasn't ready to share his Parkinson's diagnosis publicly, his wife, Susan Schneider, said in a statement she released Thursday. Actor Michael J. Fox suffers from the disease and has started a foundation to raise money for research.

No comments:

Post a Comment